Ang Stations of the Cross ay ang pagninilay sa mga huling oras ng Panginoong Hesus, ang Kanyang paghihirap at kamatayan.May dalawang version po ito:
1. Jesus is condemned to death
2. Jesus is given his cross
3. Jesus falls the first time
4. Jesus meets His Mother
5. Simon of Cyrene carries the cross
6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
7. Jesus falls the second time
8. Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem
9. Jesus falls the third time
10. Jesus is stripped of His garments
11. Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
12. Jesus dies on the cross
13. Jesus' body is removed from the cross (Deposition or Lamentation)
14. Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense.
B. NEW (SCRIPTURAL)
1. Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane,
2. Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested,
3. Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin,
4. Jesus is denied by Peter,
5. Jesus is judged by Pilate,
6. Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns,
7. Jesus takes up His cross,
8. Jesus is helped by Simon to carry His cross,
9. Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem,
10. Jesus is crucified,
11. Jesus promises His kingdom to the repentant thief,
12. Jesus entrusts Mary and John to each other,
13. Jesus dies on the cross,
14. Jesus is laid in the tomb.
Sa 14 na traditional Stations of the Cross, 8 lamang ang may malinaw na basehan sa Banal na Kasulatan at 6 ang mula sa tradisyon. Ang Stations 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9 ay hindi matatagpuan sa Ebanghelio at ang Station 13 (Jesus' body being taken down off the cross and laid in the arms of his mother Mary) seems to embellish the Gospels' record, which states that Joseph of Arimathea took Jesus down from the cross and buried him.
ANO PONG VERSION ANG NARARAPAT GAMITIN?
Ang dalawang versions ay naglalayong palalalimin ang ating buhay spiritwal sa pamamagitan ng pagninilay sa pagpapakasakit at pagkamatay ng ating Panginoong Hesus. Pareho po silang approved ng Simbahan.
Ang Traditional form ay widely promoted ni Saint Leonardo da Porto Maurizio (+1751), at approved ng Simbahan since the middle of seventeenth century.
Ang New (Scriptural) ay widely promoted ni Blessed Pope John Paul II since 1991 at approveddin ni Pope Benedict XVI since 2007.
Practically, hindi naman kinailangang palitan ng mga simbahan ang kanilang mga Stations of the Cross upang mag-conform sa new form dahil ang traditional form ay nananatling approved. So kadalasan, ang traditional form ang nasa ating mga Simbahan lalo na yung mga lumang Simbahan. Ang pinakamahalaga sa lahat ang tayo'y nagninilay at nananalangin.